Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Grayling are on the feed

It was back to Wolfclyde today, its been seven days since I was last down there.
The river has been over it's banks last week and not for the first time, its been up and down for the last couple of months.
I hope the weather is going to settle now, we have had enough rain, lets have some nice sunny warm days before winter is on us.
Where is summer? seems to have missed us up here in Scotland.
Anyway back to today and the fishing.
After my success with the french leader set up, I thought that I would give it another go to see if it would works for me again.
I started just by the pillar of the bridge, fan casting upstream as I went.
Within 5 minutes I was into a fish, it wasnt a trout, this fish was staying deep out in the current.
I soon saw the big fin coming out of the water, it was a grayling and a nice one at that.
After a little bit of excitement on my 10ft  #3 rod I soon had it in the net, a quick shot and back in the water it went.

I find that grayling take a bit of time to recover, so its best to hold them upright  in the water facing upstream.
Give it a few minutes and it should swim away on its own accord.
This one was no exception, I had to hold it for a while before it went on its way.
Wild brown trout seem to just dart off as soon as they hit the water.


I was soon into another grayling just a couple of yards further on, not as big, but it was very lively.
"Where were all the trout?" I asked myself. I had caught them last week but today they were missing.
In the first hour I had now caught 3 grayling but no trout.
The water did feel a bit cold, so maybe that was the reason, all that rain must have put the trout off the feed and the grayling must have  thought that it was the Autumn and had started feeding.
A hundred yards up from the bridge the water starts to get shallower and faster, it can be good but today it was just a bit too pacy for my method and after another half hour without a take I decided to move further up stream.
It was nice to have a few anglers around today ( I was on my own last week) and I stopped for a chat a couple of times as I moved on.
I was now some 500 yards upstream of the bridge and had started fishing the same method as earlier but after an hour without a touch I decided to sit back on the bank, have a bite to eat and watch the other anglers fish away. They didn't seem to be doing any better than me.
I spent another hour in the area resulting in one wee brown trout of about 6" but that was it, so I made my way back to the bridge.
It was now time for a change.
I had noticed a couple of rises, so on went a dry fly to see if I could tempt a fish.
Tried that for about an hour and with only one take without a hook up, I gave it up.
It was now 5pm, should I call it a day or give it one last hour ?
The weather had been that bad lately I thought that it would be a shame to go home so soon, especially as it was now turning into a nice evening.
On went a big klinkhammer as indicator, then 7ft to the point fly and 18" back up the line to a dropper.
Buzz had kindly given me half a dozen of his special beaded nymphs, so I thought now would be a good time to give them a try.
On went a heavy yellow bug on the point and a lighter nymph on the dropper.
My last efforts resulted in another nice sized grayling of over a pound followed shortly after by one slightly smaller.

I finished off with 5 nice grayling today and although the trout hadn't shown, I went home happy.

As I was driving back to Edinburgh I thought to myself.
I wonder why there are so many fish around Wolfclyde Bridge?
I seem to catch more fish there than anywhere else on the Clyde, surely they must get caught a few times throughout the year.
You would think they would be hook shy wouldn't you?
I have posted exactly where my fish were caught  I hope no-one objects to this.
I wouldn't normally divulge the spot.
But its hardly a secret place is it?
Most anglers usually have a few casts by the Bridge when they start or when they finish their days fishing.
Its a good place for beginners to start, safe wading, plenty of space and a few fish.
That's where I started some 4 years ago.









No comments:

Post a Comment