Sunday, July 22, 2012

Every day is different on the Clyde


The river had been up and over into the field last week but by Saturday it had settled down to a fishable level, so away I went  to my favourite Wolfclyde Bridge.
It wasn't till 2pm that I arrived, I thought that an afternoon early evening session might be productive.
Three or four cars were parked up, but I couldn't see any anglers in the vicinity, so I opted to do my usual and have a go just by the bridge.
As I was tackling up I was delighted to see our local osprey hovering over the water some 200 yards downstream of the bridge. "Cant be anyone down there" I thought, so  I decided to start by the pillars of the old railway bridge and work my way upstream.
Once again it was the 10ft #3 that I opted to fish with. this time with the fly line on the reel,furled leader and then an 8ft  tippet consisting of klinkhammer indicator  and two beaded nymphs.
As the river was running heavy, I decided to stick on a lead shot, this time between the point fly and the dropper.
Moving slowly upstream from the pillars to the the bridge I plucked out 8 lovely wee brownies of no more than 8" long. Not bad for the first hour of fishing.
The other side of the bridge was less productive, another 2 wee fish and at the death,after changing to a dry I caught my last trout-a bit better this time,  a 12"incher.
Funny how it goes isn't it-last week I couldn't catch a trout, it was all grayling, this week no grayling all trout. Although they were all small fish I had an enjoyable afternoon.
I had only fished for 2 hours, my highlight as always was seeing the osprey and with a few fish as well, it all made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment