Monday, July 9, 2012

Back on my favourite Clyde

I have been back now for two and a bit weeks and my holiday in Canada seems long in the distant past.
Hot weather, nice food, cold beer and of course my lovely daughter and her family.
I miss them and look forward to going back next year.
Anyway, I am now back in Scotland and I don't think it has stopped raining since I have been back, at least it isn't cold, but the river has been up and down like a yo-yo.
I managed to get out last week, getting a couple of trout on the dry, but it was hard work.
The forecast for today is showers, with a light  SE wind, water levels looked good, so I thought I would give it a go.
No point in going out too early I thought so I set off at mid-day, Jeremy Vine on the radio would keep me company for the 40 minute trip.
I arrived at Wolfclyde at about one o,clock where I had a look at the water from the bridge.
There were no fish rising "It must be nymphs today" I thought.
When I was in Canada I took my annual trip across the Detroit River to the Bass Pro Shop and  purchased another battenkill reel, the idea being that this would be designated to french nymphing.
Its loaded with 20lb Amnesia Mono (no fly line) tapering down at the business end to 17lb-14lb-12lb 8lb then a tippet ring.
On the 8lb section I had put on 4 hi-vis float stops to act as my indicator.
 (set up shown on a previous post)
That was going to be my method for today and because the river was flowing a bit fast, I didn't fancy sticking on a big heavy point nymph, I decided to try a new set-up I had been thinking about for some time.
Buzz (Mark) had tied me some lovely wee nymphs and  I hadn't had a chance to use them,being on the light side the problem I had was how to get them down to the fish?
So I came up with this-- from my tippet ring I added 8ft of 1.4kg mono with two 0.3g split shot on the end.
Then up 16" to a dropper, 16" again to my middle, and finally another 16" to the top dropper.
I then tied on a selection of Mark,s nymphs and I was ready to go.
I thought that Wolfclyde would have a few anglers, but not a car in sight.
"They may all be somewhere else or I suppose some people have to work", I didn't mind.
 I had the place to myself. "Lets start just on the upstream side close to the bridge" I thought".
A little flick up stream on a short line and it all looked good, no tangle, everything landing on the water correctly and the split shot soon started tripping along the bottom quite nicely.
Gave out a bit more line on my second cast and I was into a fish right away, followed by another, a couple of on- offs then some more nice wee trout came to hand.
I was chuffed with myself, my new method seemed to work.
In total I had a dozen trout and one plump grayling in 3 hours of fishing all within 100 yards of the bridge.

It just so happens that John the bailiff turned up as I netted my best fish, a lovely hard fighting brownie of about a pound.
It was great to be back on my favourite Clyde.

No comments:

Post a Comment