Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Last couple of hours before Canada

Got my bags packed early Monday morning and with nothing left to do for the rest of the day I thought I would give the Bridge a go, see if I could tempt a brownie or two on the dry.I just took my 8ft #3 rod and a wee box of flies, getting down there at mid day, I was soon all tackled up and ready to go.Only having a short time to fish I decided to stay near the bridge, besides I fancied having a chat with my fellow fishers and the bridge area is the best spot to bump into people First cast and instant success, in came a small trout of about 10", it was duped in taking my emerger pattern.Wow!! I thought this is going to be good,I had quickly dried off the slimy fly and out it went again with me in full expectation of a further take. Two hours later after covering the hundred yards of water below the bridge I had now progressed under the bridge two some two hundred yards up stream without as much as a look at my fly.I had changed patterns a few times and had covered the odd fish that had shown but, alas, zilch.It's not the first time this has happened and I bet it won't be the last,fishing has a habit of building up your hopes and expectations just to "knee you in the nuts"and put you in your place. "Who cares" I thought, I am off on holiday to Canada tomorrow, there is always another day to figure out what I am doing wrong.By this time I had almost decided to call it a day when I noticed one of the group of anglers that had moved onto the water just below me was bent into what looked like a good fish."Lucky jammy sod" I thought, then five minutes later there he was again into another - then blow me a third fish and then to rub it in one of his mates was playing a fish as well.Down I went to have a chat, see if I could find out what their secret engredients were.Found out they were a group of Dutch anglers, they had come over to Newcastle by ferry and had driven up to the Clyde for a weeks fishing.By the look of their outfits and fishing gear it was obvious they were no mean anglers and had proven their skills by catching fish where I had caught nowt.I had a good old chat with them and I think I have gleamed some tips I can try on my return to the river.They were a really nice bunch, spoke good English and we're free in passing on their information.So I in turn gave them the traditional Scottish greeting, by hoping that they had a "braw"time up here in Scotland and would return in the near future.So Jan-Peter-Reineir and Berd "haste ye back" you are more than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment