Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A change in the weather-Summers here?

The weather has changed somewhat, up here in Scotland,it is now about 10 degrees warmer and the winds have died down to just a little breeze,so its down to Wolfclyde for another go at the trout.
I have changed my attire to my summer wading vest no sleeves just bare arms hoping for a bit of nice sun for a change.
Pity I couldn't wear my short ( I hate chest waders-you get too hot) but I remember last time.
I  nearly got bitten to death-too many flying biting machines up here in Scotland.
Rod wise I had decided to use my 10ft #3,thinking that I would start off nymphing at long range using a klink as indicator and 2 or even maybe 3 small beaded nymphs,ptn,s and grh,s.
The water this time of the year would be low and clear so it would be best to keep my distance.
I did intend to go downstream but as  I couldn't see any anglers fishing the spots by the bridge I thought I would give them a quick once over then get a move on.
Starting off upstream of a run that usually produces the odd fish I progressed down, fan casting to try and winkle out a fish.
After going down some fifty yards I was into a nice trout of about a pound but after doing its usual acrobatics it slipped the hook.
No more takes were forthcoming and I had noticed the odd fish rising so I quickly changed to a single emerger which I hoped would match the flies coming down stream ( I am still raw at fly identification. "some more read ups required" I thought)
Anyway after covering a few rises and straining to see the fly most of the time, I had nearly given up hope, when suddenly out of the blue wham!! a trout nailed the fly and after a short fight I brought a lovely wee browny to hand.
It must have been just under the pound,lovely colours,a strong fish for its size,a swish of its tail and away it went.
Well that was it no more fish,I hadn't moved very far again,next time I must go a bit further than the bridge,but nevertheless I enjoyed the little session.
Some time in the future,when I cant manage to get out fishing I can sit back and think of the days I enjoyed at Wolfclyde Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment