Friday, May 18, 2012

Back on the Clyde for a couple of hours.

Although I hadn't fully recovered from my trip back from Canada I decided to give it a go anyway,so it was down to Wolfclyde Bridge for an hour or two.
Didn't get there till two-ish in the afternoon ,it looked like someone had crashed into the wall by the bridge as there were workman replacing some stones just at the crossroads, however I managed to park in my usual spot easily.
There were a half dozen cars parked, but on looking up and down river I couldn't see anyone.
It was a bit cold and miserable so I decided not to go very far and after tackling up I headed just down stream to the pillars to start fishing upstream towards the bridge.
I had decided to fish my 8ft #3 rod set up with the duo (a klinkhammer on a short dropper to act as an indicator and a p.t.n 3ft down on the point).
The idea was to fish a close line upstream,retrieving line back as the flies came towards me and be on the look out for the start of a hatch,making a quick change-over to the dry if fish started rising.
After about half an our fishing I took my first little brown followed straight after by an even smaller grayling.
I continued up and under the bridge stopping a while to watch a fellow angler fishing downstream towards me.
I thought that as he got to me he might stop for a chat but he turned,packed in and went to his car.
Not the talkative one I suppose.
I continued upstream from the bridge,I had now added a g.r.h dropper half way up from the point fly,as I thought that this may increase my chances of a catch,but after another couple of hours fishing I only had one other fish, which felt like a good one,after lot of splashing the hook slipped out.
I did change to the dry a couple of times to try and tempt the odd rise but nothing doing.
It wasn't a very nice day and I wasn't top of form,but at least I went out.
 As I walked back I was rewarded by the sight of a magnificent osprey ( a female I would think, by its large size)coming down stream,stopping and hovering for a while over the water before continuing on its way.
"Hope it has more success than me" I thought, before chucking my gear into the car and going on my way back to Edinburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment