Sunday, September 15, 2013

Its getting near grayling time

Its not been a good year for me-the trout have played hard to get.
The start of 2013 season saw the grayling feeding well into June, and for me anyway, I found it hard going trying to catch a decent trout.
The ones I did catch were about the 0.3kg mark and they were far and few between.
I did hook some biggies but never managed to get them in the net--the Clyde trout seem to have a knack of twisting and turning and unhooking themselves.
The river has been heavily silted and up to the other day its been nigh on impossible to fish nymphs on the bottom, but the rain last week cleaned the river up a bit.
So yesterday it was down to Wolfclyde Bridge to have a go for whatever bottom feeders were about.
The wind was blowing over my left shoulder, upstream, ideal conditions for fishing nymphs on an indicator, so I headed for a section of river just upstream from the bridge to give it a go.
This part of the river is slower and with deep runs, a good holding spot for both trout and grayling.

I spent all of the afternoon going up and down this section of river resulting in a catch of 3 trout and 6 grayling the best being the one below- topping the scales at exactly 1kg.

 


                                       A nice chunky grayling poses for the camera.

My set up: 10ft #3 Marryat rod. Orvis Battenkill BBS 11 reel with floating line.
                  1.4 m tapered leader to size     # 8  hi-vis klinkhammer on a short link.
                  1.5 m to top dropper (0.150m) #16 tungsten silver beaded nymph, red body.
                  0.4 m to mid dropper(0.150m) #16 tungsten gold   beaded nymph. red body.
                  0.6 m to bot. dropper               #14 tungsten  silver beaded nymph.black body.
                                    All barbless hooks tied to 6x tippets.
With an average depth of 1 to1.5m  it was essential to get the flies upstream and across far enough for the small nymphs to get close to  bottom as quickly as possible.
As the indicator came towards me I could see the movement of the fly as the nymphs tripped the bottom.
There was no missing the takes--with most of the fish grabbing the middle dropper.

Well we are getting near to the end of the trout season--just 2 and a bit weeks to go.
There is still quite a bit of surface activity-
There is time left for me to catch a big  "Clyde broonie"on a dry.
I will give it my best.





No comments:

Post a Comment