Friday, September 27, 2013

From Boat Bridge to Roberton Burn

5 years have now passed since my return to fly fishing.

Looking back
My very first cast with a fly rod was a long long time ago on the Water of Leith at Bonnington Bridge Edinburgh
Then as a 14  year old I expanded my fishing out to West Linton where I would spend many a long summers day on the Lyn Water.
I would explore every inch of the river looking for wee trout and grayling, going all the way down to Romanno Bridge for a bus back home.
Then at an age of 17, other things started to occupy my thoughts.
My fishing days were halted for a while as my interests had changed.
However I knew that this wasn't going to be a permanent decision.
Someday I would once again cast my fly, where and when I couldn't say, but I knew that my passion for fly fishing would return.
Things were tough in Edinburgh in the mid  sixties, so I moved down to the "Bright Lights" London, to get work.
I stayed there for 44 years.
I did take up fishing again - for carp and tench-roach, bream, etc and had some very enjoyable days fishing in many great rivers down South England, but not with the fly, that was yet to come.
 http://flymanpete.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/eat-sleep-enzine.html

So I am back in my hometown of Edinburgh, my mother sadly passed away April 2011
I miss her.
If you have been keeping up with my blog you will know that I am still fishing my favourite spots on the Clyde and enjoying it immensely, I am up here in Scotland for good, I have no intention of going back down South.
The river Clyde has so much to offer, although there are no salmon or seatrout where I fish the brown trout and grayling make up for them a hundred fold.
I am mostly to be found fishing the Lamington section of the rive
 ( Boat Bridge to Roberton Burn)
http://www.lamingtonfishing.co.uk/

However I do sometimes venture further up river to Abington and Crawford which is  UCAPA water.


The Upper Clyde has so much great water to fish, I don't feel the need to try other rivers,
I will be happy and content to spend the rest of my days where I am.

The trout season has nearly ended and it will soon be grayling time.
So I can continue to fish the river I love.
I can fish into the winter and into next year.
That's if the Scottish weather ain't too harsh-- I love my fishing, I may be keen--but sometimes its just too cold wet and windy to venture out.
So a nice warm pub-a couple of pints-some nice malt whisky --comes to mind.
Sit back relax, and think about the year gone by and look forward  2014.

Some pictures from 2013

                                Boat Bridge Thankerton--The start of Lamington water.




The rules of the river Wolfclyde Bridge (maybe a reason why the fishing is so good ?)


Lamington Bridge-- Miles of fantastic fishing, go up or downstream, a great place to start and explore the river.


A nice hard fighting 2lb brownie a pleasure to catch as there was only 5days left until the end of the 2013 season. 



Again another 2lber- this time a "Lady of the Stream" caught the day before.
I hope to get many more through out the grayling season.


You don't have to go far from the Bridges to catch whoppers like this.

I hope that I am able to enjoy my fishing on the Upper River Clyde for many more years to come.
Its a lovely river, running through unspoilt Scottish countryside at its best.
Why don't you give it a go?
You may come to love it like me.

1 comment: