Saturday, March 24, 2012

Good weather-trout feeding the return of our resident osprey? How bad is that.

Got round at last to doing my  blog .
I went out Thursday and what a lovely day it was--too good in fact for fishing, the trout don't like bright weather,they get spooky and hard to catch, but I was in for a pleasant surprise.
First of all,
I heard it before I saw it--right over my head- the returning osprey.
It was being mobbed by crows and gulls with noisy oystercatchers giving their penny worth.
The osprey looked on the small side so I am not sure if it was a juvenile or a male.
Whether it was our local bird or just passing through I don't know,any way I had some fantastic views of it hovering over the water ready to pounce on an unsuspecting trout,unfortunately it moved on down river without diving.
Back to the fishing,
I started off just before the bridge and after 30 minutes I was into a nice grayling,which was duly netted photoed  and released.

I used my new iphone to take the shot dropping it into the water at the same time.
All is well with it however,I was lucky,water and electrical gadgets don't go well together.
I have now bought a waterproof bag(used for water sports,all your gadgets go in it and it hangs around your neck) to keep my phone dry.
I have also purchased a new camera,this time its water proof being able to take shots underwater,that should be good.I am looking forward to using it.
So after catching the grayling I moved further up river but had no further offers.
I then turned round and went the other side of the bridge,there are good spots just downstream,but nothing  doing.
A couple of fish rising but I couldn't tempt them to my fly.
I finally returned to the spot that I had started at,had a chat with a fellow angler and contemplated packing in and heading homeward.
"Sod it" I thought, lets give it another go and to my surprise winkled out 3 nice trout from the same spot as the grayling.
So it all ended up a successful day.
I was happy.
                   A nice view of Wolfclyde Bridge on a sunny day

No comments:

Post a Comment