Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A good start to the trout season.

I have been out now three times since the beginning of the season and  what joy it has been to get away from the the house.Winters up here in Scotland seem to last ages.
Now there is a bit of spring in the air,mild weather and good river levels have brought the trout out to feed.
I have had a few,good size at around 12oz to a pound and a bit, a couple of nice grayling have come to the net as well.
I will be posting some pictures of my catches as soon as my camera dries out--had a little mishap-it got a bit wet.
The birds on the river have been active-with  pied and grey wagtails flirting about and the odd kingfisher speeding by.
Over head the buzzards have been displaying trying to compete with the crows as to who is the best manoeuvre'r in the sky.
Oyster catchers are in, in numbers, laying out their territory and making a right old racket doing it.
I am sure that the odd swallow and sand martins are about but I haven't seen them yet (too busy casting my  fly.)
And of course the favourite--our local osprey he will be here soon.
(Not finished yet with this blog-be back later.)

Back again.--
Didn't go out today until 12-00, it was a bit windy but I had nothing else to do so off I went.
The idea was to just fish the dry fly but as I walked the river there was nothing rising so I put on the nymphs and soon was into a nice fish a grayling of about a pound.
                                                                        Todays grayling
That was the only fish I had,but I was happy to catch something,see if I can do better tomorrow.
I managed to retrieve some of my shots from my waterlogged phone so here is a tout I caught yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment