Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wildlife on the pond and river

As well as being a fly fisher I also take an interest in wildlife ( a birdwatcher ex-twitcher)
So if the fish aren't biting I can just sit back and enjoy the surroundings.
When on the pond I can see our resident swans,moorhens and coots.
If I am lucky a water rail
(heard in Spring but seldom seen)
In the air- buzzards,sparrowhawk and peregrine falcon.
Occasionally if I am really lucky get a sight of the osprey
(a far better fisherman than me)
Redstarts,grey wagtails, crossbills and kingfishers all come to my pond.

On the river there are dippers,wagtails and kingfishers.
Mink (not wanted - an accidentally introduced animal that can decimate fish stocks, ground nesting birds and water voles) could do without them.
Early morning or late evening,if you are very lucky you may see the otter fishing along the river edge.
Being a fisher/birder I get the best of both worlds and I feel fortunate to be within easy access to some wonderful places.

No comments:

Post a Comment