Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Competition Fishing

My experience in competition fishing/match fishing was in my younger days while living down South in London.
The river/lake would be split up into sections and each section would be divided up into pegs, which would have a number on it.
We would all draw out of a bag for where we would fish, for the duration of the match.
There would be a entry fee which would be divided up -- winner over all, second and third, then a smaller prize for winning your section.
The bigger matches would also be attended by a bookie, who would give you odds on the chance of you winning etc. so you could place a bet on how well you done.
The duration of the match was usually 5 hours, after which your catch would be emptied from your keep net,weighed and safely returned.
The hardest part of all this was getting to your peg and back with multiple rods and other fishing gear.
The actual fishing was the easy part--- you just sat on your box/seat and fished.
I won a few bob from time to time but it started to get very expensive.
The cost to enter, all your bait and bits and bobs.
You really needed a sponsor, such as a tackle manufacturer or even just an angling shop to help with the cost.
Of course. you needed to be successful--- winning often,getting your name in the paper/photo advertising what ever product your sponsor was supporting.
I wasn't that good - maybe not enough commitment -I gradually gave it up.
This was all back in the seventies and my interests soon changed to more pleasurable activities.

So now back in Scotland, I meet many fellow fishermen on the banks of my favourite river
The Clyde.
Anyway--my mate Kev managed to get me involved to be a controller/recorder for a competition he had entered.
Well it was nothing like my above experience of competition  fishing all those years ago.
I was allocated to an angler, who I would stay with for the duration of the match.
I was provided with a map,photos, measure, recording sheet and two flags.
Off we went in his car-- found the area he had to fish--trundled down the fields to the river, then he went one way and I went the other to where the flags were then staked for his particular beat.
It seemed like miles to me, I was knackered.
He fished between the two flags- I followed for 3 hours and I recorded his fish.
After that it was up the fields again to his car, where we zoomed off for another 3 hours at another section of the river.
Collected this beats flags at the end and finally back to the car.

My whole body ached I was exhausted by my efforts--just too old and unfit for things like that.
But I done it--I helped a mate out and saw parts of the river not known to me.
Watched another angler fish---how he done it---I think he done well.
Not sure if I would be up to doing it again--we will see.



       My angler for the day (John Watson ) he said he was just a beginner.
       I think he done well catching this lovely 2lb plus grayling




      A new fishing spot for me, The Roberton Burn where it meets the Clyde.
      To the left Lamington Water and right UCAPA
       I must venture back there some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment