Friday, April 26, 2013

At last-I catch a trout

                         Not a monster trout, but worth a little snap, as it was my first of 2013

My sixth visit to the Clyde and I finally catch a trout-in fact I had two-a result at last.
Ive caught plenty of nice grayling since the start of the trout season but now they have stopped feeding, its their breeding time, so I wont see many of them again for two or three months.
Both the trout came to a beaded gold ribbed hare-ear nymph fished "New Zealand style " only the two takes in 5 hours fishing so it was hardly an action filled day.
There was a hatch of olives, LDO,s I think, early afternoon-it lasted for about an hour,with a few fish rising I went on a dry fly.
I had six offers but no hook ups--don't know what they were doing to the fly-was I too slow or too fast -who knows?
The river is in perfect condition, so all we need is a bit of warmth to get things going and i,m looking forward to putting on my shorts, getting a bit of nice sunshine for a change.
Its certainly been a long winter but I now feel confident that summer is just round the corner--the birds are singing and busily making their nests.
The local osprey has returned, a great sight to see--watching him/her dive down for fish.
So the river is now livening up-- I am looking forward to many fishing trips this summer on my favourite Clyde.


No comments:

Post a Comment