Thursday, October 11, 2012

First grayling trip

It was the 11th of October and it was grayling time.
The river level was back to normal and with a light breeze, things were looking good for my first go at the "ladies of the stream".
I knew of some nice grayling holding spots at Wolfclyde Bridge that had produced some descent fish in the past. 
All prepared for a bit of hiking along the river, I set off upstream to the first spot.


                                                  A lovely spot on the Clyde

 My tactics for the day was to use my #3--10ft rod with a large klinkhammer as an indicator with 2 bead head flies below, fished well over depth.
I began at the top of the run and started my way down.
Making three fan casts upstream of my position I guiding the flies down at the speed of the current.
A step down-then the same again.
I had travelled down for about ten minutes without a touch, so I increased the distance from the klink to the point fly with the dropper 20"up the line.
I estimated that the water was about 4ft deep so I was now fishing over double the depth.
First cast, instant success, a nice grayling had latched on to my point fly and after a brief struggle it was in the net.


                                                         Safely in the net

My next fish came shortly after, followed by a nice out of season trout of about one and a half pounds.
I continued on going back up and down the run landing 8 nice grayling, all of which were over the pound mark.

                                          
                                                  On her way to fight another day

I had arrived at the river at 1pm and it was now 5pm.
I had fished for 4 hours, delighted with my afternoons fishing, I decided it was time to head home.
I never had time to fish the other spots--going to save them for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment