Thursday, January 19, 2012

All ready for a winter grayling stint

Well here I am, all togged up for a winter grayling stint,being mid January its a wee bit cold and as I will be standing in the water all day I have made sure that everything is water tight.
I wear thermals under a good quality wading jacket,with a nice woolly hat on my head to keep the heat in and as I will be traveling  light (I'm only bugging for grayling) there is no need to take loads of gear, As a safety issue-- the banks can be wet and icy so I have fitted  studs in my felt soled wading boots to give me a bit more grip
I had a slip and tumble the other day--not a pretty sight--I'm a big old lump to come crashing down.
Had the river been running a bit high I would have worn a safety vest and used a wading staff.
If I look a bit bulky in this shot, I have a small flask of coffee and a sandwich stuck away in my pockets. That's my excuse anyway.
Its nice to have a sit down and have a hot drink and a bite after a couple of hours and as I will be travelling searching for the grayling, it may be too far back to the car.
The weather today is dull,damp and a bit cold with a varying wind of about 15-20 miles per hour.
Ive opted for my 10ft #3 rod,with an 8 metre tapered leader. ( I wont be fishing any fly line off the reel today)
I will start off with a drops style indicator then 6ft of 4lb mono to - 2 size 16 beaded droppers to a  14 tungsten bead point fly.
Pink on the point red on one dropper and plain ptn on the other.
Should I find it difficult to control the set up because of the wind or I have difficulties because of the light ( my eyes are not as good as they were) I can remove the drop ind. and replace with a bright coloured pimp.
So thats my set up and plans for the day.
Its now 12noon and I will be fishing the Clyde at Wolfclyde Bridge ( in the background)
I know a few likely spots that have produced fish in the past.
So away I go.

3 hours later.

Well I gave it a go without much success, I had one decent out of season trout and one tiny grayling, both of which shed the barbless hook just at my feet--therefore no pictures of fish.

So here is another shot of me with the old pillars of the railway bridge that runs next to Wolfclyde.
I enjoyed the day. I have let the grayling off the hook till the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment